Thursday, October 8, 2015

Remembering a Special Furry Family Member

Ah, those furry faces, big or small, canine or feline, or perhaps something a bit more exotic; they all leave an impression on our hearts. Those wet noses nudge us awake in the mornings and they're the first to greet us at the door when we get home. We are their whole world.

The bond created between two beings that rely on each other to such a degree is undeniable. One loves unconditionally and relies solely on the other for not only the rudimentary necessities, but also physical exercise, social engagement, leadership and affection. The other cares for this trusting soul, nurturing it, loving it, watching it grow and blossom. The joy of such a relationship cannot be measured... and neither can the loss. 

When I lost my 20 year old cat, Hunter, I was heartbroken. He was a 12 lb. Main Coon with all of the confidence, sophistication, and grace of a lion. He was far wiser than I could ever hope to be and I could tell by looking in his eyes he had lived many lifetimes. His presence filled our house and the day I lost him our tiny 1100 sq. ft. townhouse felt vast and empty. It's been 5 years and I still think of him daily and miss him dearly.

It's hard to let go, but we can carry a small piece of them with us and that sometimes makes the transition a little easier. I found myself thinking a lot about Hunter the other day, so I decided I would  invest a bit of time in some crafting therapy and create an homage to him.

This process started with combing through photos...LOTS of photos. Each one made me smile and gave me an opportunity to relive a precious memory. The one I used for the piece in the photo below really captures Hunter's character and reminds me of the bond we shared. He would frequently make eye contact with me and I just knew that those green eyes and that intense gaze knew the meaning of life and the answers to all the other mysteries lost on us humans.   




I decided to keep these pieces simple. Nothing too ornate or lavish. My feline companion exuded all the elegance needed to make these special. I opted only to use a small photo and a monogram. After all, Hunter was all class and these needed to reflect that.




It felt good to put these three pieces together and it gives me a way to keep Hunter close. It's painful when a furry family member passes, but I think part of that pain is brought on by our desperate need to hold onto the memory of them and not forget. 




I'm glad I made these and sharing them with you today. This project gave me peace and provided an opportunity to reflect back on some wonderful memories. As I was putting these together, I relished the simplicity of the project and loved that this small effort yielded such a sweet way to remember my furry friend. This made me think that this project might even be a good way to help children transition through this type of loss. The passing of a beloved pet is a difficult event to process as an adult, but for a youngster it can be incredibly confusing and emotional. Creating a simple commemorative piece (no matter the medium) allows us to acknowledge that they are no longer with us, but it gives us an opportunity to celebrate their life and carry them with us in our hearts. That can be immensely empowering during a time when it's easy to feel helpless. 



Thank you for joining me today. Visit me next week for something new.

5 comments:

  1. I love this sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much, ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I love my fur babies too! Did you make copies of the pictures onto brochure paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I love my fur babies too! Did you make copies of the pictures onto brochure paper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these, Cheryl, and am so sorry for your loss of Hunter. I lost my Lilly dog a little over two years ago, and still cry sometimes. I made a pendant of her using the large oval. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments mean so much to us.